Road accidents are more common that one might think. Did you know that according to Texas Department of Transportation, 1 crash occurs every 59 seconds in Texas?
In the unfortunate situation of a road crash, your injuries are not the only thing you need to worry about. Serious crashes generally lead to the involvement of law enforcement, courts, and insurance agencies, according to experts at Law Offices of Alexander M Gurevich PC, one of the best Houston accident attorneys firm.
To deal with them, at a time when you should be recovering can be an extremely difficult task. These problems can be solved if you hire an experienced lawyer. Here are some of the benefits:
Handling the Insurance Company
If you have dealt with an insurance company before, you might know difficult this can be. After you have filed your claim with the insurance agency, you would have to deal with the company’s adjuster. And the interest of the adjuster lies with saving the insurance agency money. The adjuster may try to:
- Devalue your injuries or invalidate the claim to pay you a lower amount.
- Claim that the accident occurred because of you.
- Claim that your injuries and health post-accident are a result of your pre-existing medical conditions.
- May try to use any statement made by you, against you.
But when you hire an accident lawyer in Houston TX, all your communications with the insurance company would be handled by your attorney. They have experience about such tactics and know how to deal with them.
In accidents, the compensation you get depends upon who was responsible for the accident. A skilled accident attorney can free you from liabilities. For this, the auto accident lawyer would collect extensive evidence from the crash site in Houston TX.
- Get the name, contact information, and address of all those involved in the crash.
- Inspect the damage to both the vehicles involved in the crash.
- Get testimony from the witnesses and their contact information.
- Get medical records of those involved in the crash.
- Investigate the road conditions near the accident site.
- Try to find out if the other driver was distracted during the accident, such as using their phone.
Have Knowledge of the Laws Applicable
A seasoned auto accident lawyer knows which laws apply to your case. Using this knowledge, they would be able to provide you a fair representation in the court. They would ensure that the case is filed within the right timeframe and applicable statute of limitations.
Valuing Your Claim
For valuing a claim, several factors need to be taken into consideration. An accident attorney calculates your claim on the basis of:
- Medical costs for injury treatment.
- Loss of employment for the period you were not able to work.
- Cost of repair of your vehicle or other property damaged in the crash.
When you get a great lawyer, you might not even have to go to court. Most parties offer a fair compensation in an out of court settlement.